Sunday, November 3, 2013

Week ten prompt

The pin pricks my skin, I feel nothing...

Fall of 2010 my best guy friend and I took our wheelers down to the Warren Pits. The pits are where everyone gathers on weekends to shoot guns and take their trucks through the mud. Him and I were the only ones that really messed with ATV's, no one else could either afford them, or just didn't have one. I unloaded mine first, I couldn't find my ramps that morning so I just found a hill to back up close to and unloaded that way. I was immediately so excited to get riding, it had been months.

As our other friends pulled up in their trucks, I saw a few other people around unloading their wheelers too, two of them were side by sides. I didn't know who they were though so I just waved and kept riding. I didn't always trust other riders in the pits because there are a lot of blind spots, people come out from no where. You just always have to be on the look out for other riders, I always think to myself that I trust me, but I don't trust them. I don't trust other riders to be as cautious as me, they all just want to show off. As I feel the mud cling to my skin, I head straight for another mud hole. I gave my 800cc wheeler some throttle and at the same moment, everything I saw in front of me was a blur, I was tossed from my wheeler as I felt a crushing blow to my left leg.  Moments before I was driving, and now I'm lying on the cold hard dirt of the Warren Pits.

As my friends and people I didn't know were screaming, I could barley hear them, everything was so faint and I could barely make out the clouds above. I felt nothing, no pain. I was lifted up so I could sit and try and talk. I looked down to see blood coming from my pants. A pin could have pricked me and I wouldn't have felt it. I believe I was just in shock, as they let go of my back, I fell back to the ground and conked back out...

1 comment:

  1. Nice approach to the prompt, backing into it like this! Week 10 asks you to find ways to distance the reader. This is pretty straightforward and non-distancing, but the last graf kind of goes in and out, just the way you were going in and out of consciousness--and that in-and-out effect is very week 10.

    ReplyDelete