Sunday, November 3, 2013

Week 10 prompt 3

You write a story which ends with the words, "...and then I woke up and it was only a dream." And then you wake up.



I was in the jungle, fighting for my life. It was cold and dark, night had just consumed me. I remembered having my best friend with me, I could picture her beside me but she wasn't there, where did she go? I had hoped she had gone for help but I couldn't lay here hoping it was coming, I had to find it.

I found a sac resting next to my foot; dirty and wet from the afternoon's rain. I ransacked through it and was lucky enough to find a few dry matches, a small flashlight and a half eaten granola bar; I had wondered if it were mine. As I turned on the tiny light I began to look at my surroundings. I also tried to listen for any voices or maybe a car. I didn't know where I was or where the closest road was to me. I took a deep breath and told myself I couldn't get scared, thats when bad things happen.

As I walked forward I felt as though I was heading deeper into the jungle. The trees and bushes grew thicker and the wind settled. I was hoping that the lusterous bushes meant water so I carried forward. It was starting to get cold but I didn't want to set up shack yet. As I came closer to what looked like a stream I stumbled and fell over something. That something made a loud yelp and groan noise and punched me in the leg; it was Macy, my best friend! I couldn't have been more happy. She jumped at the sight of me and gave me the biggest hug. I of course asked her why she had left me. She said she was in search for help and didn't realize she had gotten herself lost.

As we continued to walk we came upon a stream, with running water and what looked like a comfortable place to set up a place to sleep and start a fire. Just as we began to look for wood we heard a loud roar and the leaves rustling fast, with no time to move or take cover a pack of wolves came running at us, and just as I closed my eyes in fear I woke up and it was all a dream.

1 comment:

  1. Welllllll, I don't think this prompt really asks the reader to recount a dream--instead, it asks the reader to think about what is dreamlike and what is not in ordinary 'waking' life. But any confusion is the fault of the unclear prompt and, therefore, my mistake, not yours. If I were teaching this course again, I'd find some other way of getting at this idea because this prompt has been nothing but trouble over the years!

    ReplyDelete