Sunday, November 3, 2013

Week 10 prompt 2

"You said...but, but, how was I supposed to know you meant--"




Fall 2011, Freshman year and the start of my first college basketball career, it was game 1 and I couldn't have been more nervous or excited to play Northern Maine Community College. My basketball coach was an interesting character, I'll keep him named as "Coach." What he saw on the court wasn't always what we would see as players, being right there in the moment its hard to always make the right choice. That's why communication is the biggest key factor in most sports. Not only communication, but doing it in an effective way so that everyone knows exactly what you mean. I remember this game so clearly...

Another player on my team, I'll name her as Sarah to protect a fellow team mate. 10 seconds were left in this game and I was sitting on the bench due to rolling my ankle just minutes before. The game was tied at 58-58, and NMCC had the ball. Coach told Sarah in these words; "Sarah I need you to guard that ball and don't let it in bounds." Simple as that. I believe it was too simply put that Sarah didn't understand the severity of the situation, the game was really on the line now.

The ball is in play now and the NMCC forward is trying to pass the ball into the guard, as Sarah is watching the guard like a hawk, she forgets to see where the ball is. Crucial factor in the game #2, always knowing where the ball is at all times. The forward throws the ball to mid-court and the guard pushes back off Dani and catches up to the ball. The ball made it in bounds....

"You said...but, but, how was I supposed to know you meant." Sarah exclaimed.

I remember coach saying something like. "Sarah you were guarding the guard and weren't watching the ball! You gotta listen!" He'd said. This was after the game was over and we lost by one point due to a foul given at the other end of the court. Coach and Sarah sat down after that game and discussed communication, Sarah should have asked coach if he wanted her on the ball, or on the guard, next time, they new that asking one simple question, could have been that games resolution. "We'll get em next time." He said.

1 comment:

  1. Again, week 10 is a push to find a way to distance the reader, frame the material. I see the flashback, I like the ellipsis... but still think this material could have pressed harder against the conventional narrative walls it feels locked into.

    ReplyDelete