Monday, November 25, 2013

Week 13 Prompt 2

"65. In the drawer is a box made of carved and joined bits of driftwood, which holds objects meaningless to anyone else but sacred, precious, unforgettable to you..."

Most people have a junk drawer or maybe several. I have one in my bedroom, as well as my family has one in the kitchen. The closest drawer to the living room and the hallways to the bedroom. Most of the things in there could be thrown away. Any guest of the house looking for a pen, would probably open the drawer, and quickly close it because it looked like useless things in there. However, to the owner of those belongings, they are much more than that.

The drawer looks as though its from the 70's; oh wait that's because it is. It also holds up a bright orange counter, also from the same time period. However in it one an find old batteries, broken pencils and pens that have no ink. Looking deeper there is an old picture of my mother and my aunt from when they were 15 and looked like twins. A baby picture of myself that was supposed to go to my grandmother but she had past away soon after. Then towards the back there lies an old screw driver. One of those that seems to be the perfect size for just about everything around the house. May sound funny but I'd be sad if we lost it.

One of the most meaningful things to me in it is one of those electronic toys that hangs from a key chain. Though the name has been quickly forgotten you are the owner of some weird named pet and you have to feed it, put it to sleep and bring it outside to use the bathroom. I don't remember what happened when you didn't play with it for a while but it was like a virtual pet. That toy and then a Polly Pocket sit right next to each other. I wondered why we kept them there, maybe so we always knew where they were. A junk drawer half full of junk, half full of amazing, old very meaningful family things. That picture of me as a baby not only is a reminder to my parents, but allows us to take a second to think about my grandmother that I barely knew. All sacred and unforgettable things.

1 comment:

  1. Funny combination of junk drawer with real junk--and a family keepsake drawer with lots of non-junk. You need two drawers! Nice week 13 style development of material.

    ReplyDelete