Saturday, October 19, 2013

Week 9 Prompt 3

"You never know what you have until it is gone..."

May 10th, 2013. Rebecca and I's last day of hanging out and we didn't even know it. Becca was set to move back to Calais on the 11th. We spent the whole day in sweat pants, watching our favorite show; Prison Break. We were star struck by the lead role; Michael Wentworth. He is one of the most attractive men known to earth. I remember this day because it was also the day we found out Michael is gay. Not that we have ANY problems with homosexuals, it was just a bummer. Even though we of course would never be able to get 10 feet from him. Which is something we laughed about as well.

Rebecca has been in my life the last two years. We played on the same college team for one year and lived together for 3 months. 3 months in which we fought and fought and fought! I can't tell you how many times we freaked out at each other. Even on the court it affected us. I always felt like she was looking at me with a dirty look. We hated that phrase, "it's so high school," we would say. On May 10th, we talked about everything that made us fight when we lived together. Talked about how stupid we were. It was 2012 when we fought, and it only took one Summer of being separated for us to realize how much we needed one another and especially how alike we were. That's what made us butt heads, but once we realized all that, that was what brought us even closer starting Fall 2012 going into Winter-Spring 2013.

When I think back on our friendship, I see how much Rebecca has grown. Our first year of college was 2011-2012, the year we met. She was a constant party girl, looking for a late night hook up with a cute boy. However by 2nd semester of our first year, her and I decided to live on Campus in a dorm room to make it better for playing sports. This is when our relationship got a little rocky, but that's how it goes when you live in a VERY confined room. When Summer of 2012 hit, and we got some time apart, we were able to forget all of the things that made us mad about one another and allowed our 2012-2013 school year be a hit. We had separate apartments and hung out all the time with no issues. It was easily my best year out of my 2.5 that I have spent at Eastern Maine. May 10, 2013, the Month we got out of school, our leases ran out, and it was time to start our Summer jobs back in our home towns. We reminisced about all the good times and honestly fought back a few tears. That's when we would hit each other and say "don't be such a little bitch!" We had that sort of relationship.

Now, it's October of 2013 and I have not seen Rebecca ONCE since that date. You really never know what you have until it's gone. I had a friend I could do anything with, say anything to, and I really trusted and adored her. I feel like it is a friendship I will forever miss. over 3 hours is a long drive. We stay in contact as much as possible through social media. I don't really know how she is doing, or where she is working. Facebook however shows that she's at least happy. That's all I can truly hope.

2 comments:

  1. We don't seem to be communicating about this at all. I won't read or give credit for any of the material you're posting unless it's paragraphed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see linked vignettes here really. Instead of really taking us into any of these conversations in an immediate way, you're telling us about them, not dramatizing, not sketching, just a lot of dates and random facts. We don't really see where this is going, what you will miss....

    Try a rewrite.

    ReplyDelete