Monday, October 14, 2013

Week 7 Character Prompt

Take a look at a photo of a person. What do you see?

A 7 minute jog down the road brings me to my great uncle Sonnys house. A 67 year old man and his 66 year old wife live here. He paid 16,000 for the house many years ago, now its a house worth tens of thousands more. Inside you can tell its a home full of love. Old and new family pictures hang on literally every wall in here yet without cluttering.

One photo always strikes my interest everytime. It is a black and white photo of my great uncle Sonny when he was jusr 19 years old in the military. He was a marine, fought in many major wars and basically, its a grade A badass. The picture is of a man wearing a service uniform, its green, even though you can't tell in this photo, he always told me. It was an A uniform, or alpha, the garrison cap. He said some people call them piss cutters, I asked why and he just shook his head. I looked it up and it brought me to wikipedia... I questioned his words. Behind him was just a tarp, he was standing there with a rifle, barrel to the sky. His lips looked like they barely had a crease. Photo quality of course not that great but this picture said so much to me. It was like a completely different man. A man who had one goal, to fight, to protect.

He had very broad shoulders in the photo, sharp looking ears even, and his legs perfectly straight together. In the dirt below his feet I could see a few stones but he was really the only thing in this photo. He looked mean to me, but then again his uniform made him just seem so different. I look up from him and see kind eyes and a welcoming smile. Those broad shoulders still linger, only now covered with tattoos. In this photo, I see my great uncle Sonny.

1 comment:

  1. You've got it all working here: that photo gets taken for a ride and from the one image you describe, we see the man, the older man and the younger one both. This one jumps right off the page!

    And...pisscutter sent me to the internet too!

    ReplyDelete