Friday, September 13, 2013

week 3 scene setting and dialogue

"You know you need a fishing pole to go fishing right?" Macy said sarcastically.

"Ummm DUH!" I boasted. "I bought a pink Ugly Stick yesterday!"

" Congratulations... Did you buy an open reel or closed? I bet you forgot which one I told you huh?" 

" Wow I truly know what my best friend thinks of me now! I got the open reel I remembered what I used before. I swear I'm smarter than you think!" I said to Macy raising my eye brow at her yet holding in a laugh. 

"Yeah oooooook! You know I'm joking but lets be honest... I'm about to to teach you how to fish." Macy uttered.

We act like we hate each other all the time and we get the craziest looks from our friends. We look at each other and laugh, we talk this way even if no one is around. Having fun is what we do best. She is my way of getting away from the world and letting everything go. So far shes the only one I am able to do this with.

As we jump in the truck we start cranking the music... Our favorite song is "Fuckin Problem" by Tyga. Its one of those songs we can belt out, feel awesome and... Not care! (I will not share the lyrics.)

"Macy turn the damn radio down I can't see where we are supposed to turn!"  I yelled.

"You're asking me to turn down the radio so you can see better? Do you see where that makes NO SENSE!?" Macy boasted back at me.

"UH YEAH but loud music makes me not be able to think straight ya know."

"Yeah yeah whatever its right here." She said.

"Why do I hangout with you."

She said "because we think alike, and dislike the same people." Macy Said.

"So we're bitches."

"...Basically." She Agreed.

                                                                     *******

About 15 minutes later...

"Macy stop it! I know how to bait a hook!" I said.

"That means you have to actually TOUCH the worm Ashley!"

"I got it I got it just give me a second!" I said with barely an ounce of confidence.

I snatched the worm and drove the hook through one end feeling sorry for the worm, and jabbed it with the hook another time. I dangled it in front of my face with the saddest look and belted;

"SEE I CAN BAIT A HOOK!"

"I guess you can, now cast your line and shut up." She replied.

                                                                     *******
"Its so nice out here, I don't know why I've never gone fishing before."

"Yeah I used to come out here by myself after school all the time. Its so much nicer with my best friend!"

I replied, "Yes it is! I always pictured myself doing this with my boyfriend, but since I'll be single forever I guess you'll do."

She gave me a glare and said, "don't worry I'll be right there with ya."

"MACY OH MY GOD I GOT A BITE!"

"So reel it in!"

I start reeling and the bass comes to the surface. "Its huge! The pole is gonna break. Take it, take it!"

She started laughing at me and said "just give it to me you wuss."

I dropped the pole before Macy's hands even got on it. I didn't realize myself literally running away from it. From about 10 feet away I stood and watched as she reeled it in, stepped on it and ripped the hook from its mouth.

"Ya wanna touch it?" She snarled.

"You tell me the answer to that question."

"You know fishing means to do all this on your own right?" She said.

"I'll get there someday now throw it back and lets do it again!"

Macy shook her head at me. I baited my hook and I cast out my line once again.





How should I close the dialogue out ?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you close it on a fine note--one fish caught, line back in the water--nothing left to be said. All the dialogue and scene-setting works, but all the action verbs and adverbs I don't think add anything: boasted, uttered, sarcastically, yelled, replied, etc. Either "said" or nothing IMO.

    ReplyDelete