Monday, September 2, 2013

Theme Week 2



The year 2011 was one of the biggest years. Not just for me but in history. 2011 started with me working a closing shift at a hotel in Camden, Maine. Someone had to do it so of course it was me. I went to bed early and didn’t even watch the ball drop.  Once school started back up I was on my final leg of my senior year of high school, it was like “easy-peasy.” At that point I could blow just about any class off because I knew I was graduated, however for the sake of my high school basketball career I went to every class early.
As those beginning months past of the year 2011 I played in several basketball games. We were one of the top teams in class B girls’ basketball. The highlight was beating Camden, our rival team. We hadn’t lost to them once in over 3 years. Beating girls who act like bitches on the court only gives you the BIGGEST feeling of satisfaction when you have to shake hands after the game. During this time I never ever paid much attention to what was happening in other countries. In Egypt their president decided to resign and hand his power to the military. At the same time in Libya, protestors only wished their leader would step down but he wouldn’t. I remember my grandfather talking about a man named Hosni Mubarak; apparently he ended up killing several protestors…

Come April I was already planning my birthday. My birthday is May 25th of every year of course and I always enjoy going camping or taking my 4-wheeler out with a bunch of my family and friends. This year we decided to go up to Rangeley and stay in tents along the trails. Bring Deer meat and cook on a portable grill. I absolutely could not wait. My dad’s birthday is April 13th and we hosted a big party at his favorite local bar. April 29th Kate Middleton married Prince William in Westminster Abbey in London. Probably the most watched event ever. I’m pretty sure it was on every network on television.
We have been fighting in a war against terrorism since the year 2001. Trying to pin point and find the men/man behind the horrible acts on September 11th. On May 2nd the CIA and United States troops shoot and kill Osama Bin Laden in Abbottabad, Pakistan. I remember this day clear as a bell. I was home and my parents had just turned on the news in time. The reporter even acted with a slight sigh of relief. We all knew this didn’t mean that the war was over, but it was big step closer and we couldn’t possibly thank the military enough for their hard work and sacrifice.

My birthday couldn’t have been better. Perfect weather, everyone came and I didn’t even use my tent. I slept on the ground near the edge of Rangeley Lake. I was now 18 years old. Still none of the war stuff made too much sense to me, I always wished I paid more attention to the news but it was always so depressing. – I graduated on June 8th at 6pm in my high school gym. It was such an amazing day. There was a bird that flew in through the doors and was their throughout the entire 2 hour graduation. No one could quite keep their eye off of it for too long. Especially the large woman in the corner with the camera; she was on the tallest bleacher and it was like the bird was harassing her. I can’t imagine what any of her footage looks like.
On July 22nd 2011 Norway was hit with another terrorist attack. First a bomb that killed 8 people then a few hours later a man disguised as a cop opens fire at a camp for young political activists. I started working my first year as a house keeper during this month making $7.75 an hour. I’d go to work at 8am, come home have dinner and hangout with my friends; peacefully. The gunman alone killed 68 people in Norway that day.
I swear just a few days ago I was listening to Amy Winehouse’s song “Rehab” and thinking, “Wow I haven’t heard this song in forever it’s so good! Then On July 23rd, she was found dead from an overdose.
One of the biggest known controversial trials that have happened in the United States began in 2011. I was watching TV one afternoon after work and I remember hearing people talk about the Sandusky trial and didn’t have a clue what they were talking about. Normally I ask but I was just too lazy that day. Former Penn State Football defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was arrested on 40 counts of sexual assault. By December, two more people came forward that were assaulted by him and he was then arrested for over 50 counts of assault over a 15 year period.
Another amazing day in history was when The Mavericks Beat the Miami Heat 105-95 in the Championship game. For any New Englander or shall I say most, we are NOT Heat fans. Basketball has always been my passion. When the 2011 season started I felt so good about the Boston Celtics. But the Miami Heat had Lebron James AND Dwayne Wade so they were only getting better.  I didn’t like the Mavericks much but they ended up in the finals against Miami and it was such a tough series that I even lost sleep over it. I was literally jumping up and down during the final 10 seconds of this game. 
Yes 2011 came with so much history:  the military, to terrorism, gay marriage, and basketball and mass murders. Being 17-18 years old I didn’t pay much attention to many things but it was a year in which I graduated high school; started college, became an adult and also began my own career as a college athlete. I began to understand more things that were happening around me and watched the news more no matter how depressing. The year 2011 was like a new beginning for me.



3 comments:

  1. You do a nice job here with something I sort of wish you hadn't done, which is research dates and events. I'm more interested in what you already know than in what you can find out.

    But, that said, this is much more than just a list of events--you give your reaction to each one, give your take, show your connection. That's week 2 in a nutshell, so my complaint is minimal.

    But, y'know what--your journal entry is even better for a week 2 theme than this. That journal is undiluted AR, your reactions to the world we have, with just the one researchy side trip to a website. Damn, I hate to tell you this, but, although this one works, that one is the keeper IMO.

    Make sense or confusing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha to be honest if I hadn't done the research I would have missed all of these crucial events. Picking things from my brain I don't think I would have been able to put hardly any detail into it and actually learned how big and important of a year that was. As for the journal part I think I get it? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, no, okay--I understand why you did the research but still regret that I sent you out to do it. Makes no sense? That's the JAG Specialty!

    ReplyDelete