Monday, September 2, 2013

Journal

I have to say beginning the week 2 assignment really opened my eyes. Within the last couple of years there have been crazy events.. School shootings, child abductions. The killing of that Glenburn girl a month or so ago was really sad. I drove through Glenburn two days ago and got such a weird feeling.

On Saturday a bus full of a bunch of my friends was riding down to see Luke Bryan when a woman from Belfast blew through a red light and the bus hit her. She died on the ride to the hospital.

I wish I could say that I believe in God but I am a firm atheist and I'm not sure if I believe in the saying "everything happens for a reason," either.

The news is so full of sad and depressing things. At my work we put on the news just so we can hear the weather. I have come to realize that the news comes on at 5 or 6am and is put on repeat until noon time. I find myself hearing the same 5 depressing stories about 12 times in one morning. Until I change the channel to the Maine Visitor Channel or Accuweather. I don't live in fear but its truly crazy and intimidating how quickly your life or a loved ones life could be taken from you. I will never understand how some other countries think either. How in the HELL can you sacrifice yourself by running a damn plane full of innocent people into a building full of MORE innocent people where all the rubble will land on... well... more innocent people. I honestly feel like the war we are in today will never be over. I hear people say that it is over but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

16 mass shootings happened in the year 2012 alone. At least 88 people died. I swear the worst in a long time was the shooting of all those children and teachers in Connecticut. Its just completely baffling to me to think about someone pointing a gun and firing on them. What is wrong with you?

I checked out this website, to get real facts on these 88 deaths and found there were events that I didn't even hear about on the news... "classmate opens fire on other students." WHY?

I value every single day so much now that I am getting older. I spend more time with my elders, listen to all my great uncles war stories and I'm always sure to keep in touch with my friends that are off to college far away. I value my life so much. 


2 comments:

  1. How many journal entries have you got now? Only one week needed though you're welcome to keep it up and I will keep reading and commenting.

    I haven't read your week 2 theme yet (that's next) but this seems like a worthy introduction to your sense of yourself in the world, a frightening mysterious world where, as you say, there is some doubt that things all happen for a reason. FWIW, I agree with you about that--I'm a believer in the universe's completely random and entropic quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know I think this is only #6! hahah.

    ReplyDelete